March 27, 2008

Tekki Sandan reply on the shotokan way

Tekki Sandan blog from the shotokan way

Here is a copy of a blog from the shotokan way that i replied to ...
so i am only attaching what i responded with ..

The poster wrote:
I'm currently studying Tekki Sandan. I was taught when you do the morote uke, the left hand open on the forearm that you should kick mae geri straight ahead.

I'v seen videos and pictures for example of many JKA Instructors who simply just raise their knee.

What is the general happening here?


My response:
Hello everybody...

I would like to add to this topic from a neutral stand point of view.. although that might seem difficult...

In Tekki Sho-dan , Ni-dan or San-dan.. the kick that everyone is talking about is found in all three Kata. If i am discussing the same kick.

Since the only kick referred to as a fumi-komi to my knowledge is found only once in San-dan on the final sequence with the right leg, twice in Ni-dan on left and right and twice in Sho-dan on the left and right leg all following the kagi tsuki's. going into an uchi-ude-uke.

In kata, the fundamental movements of each technique are performed for the sake of training the body to do certain motions or movements..

I dont personally think there is a correct way or a incorrect way to execute any given technique in any Kata after you have obviously built a solid foundation for the basic movements. Again we are talking about the finer points of tekki not the general idea... I think there are many different ways and all are correct.

I think it is a matter of preference.... the fact that every well known and high ranking sensei teaches a different way, tells us that everything goes back to preference. Some teach uchi-mikazuki-geri, some teach mae-geri and many teach it as a fumi-komi.

With that said.. I strictly follow a committed means to learning.

Since many people have trained with multiple sensei's, myself included, I find it very difficult to determine what is the right way to do anything.. I think the easiest way is to follow what your Sensei says unless he tells you to start experimenting with things. but mean while your brain should be actively looking into it from a different angle all the time.

If at some point you find your self learning from someone else later on in your career then again by all means follow your sensei again.

Learn what you can from everyone whether it be this way or that way. When you have gotten to the point that you are looking for a deeper meaning, then you should simply try to apply each method you have learned and put it into application within your kata. I think that brings out the mental freedom of Kata.

Honestly, I don't think it matters what you do. So long as you are doing your techniques within the guidelines of the kata.

Now if you are exchanging a fumi-komi for a spinning hook kick then I would say you are doing something totally out of the question because it is not relevant to the Kata and has no validity.

But if it is a matter of mae-geri vs. fumi-komi or uchi-mikazuki-geri or Hiza-geri then i honestly feel it is a matter of preference since they all start with identical initial movement from the hip. They all require to lift the knee up to get anything going.

I have been taught Tekki Nidan and Sandan several ways. But if you go back to Nakayama's Kata, I think it is safe to say you are closest to the well.

My Sensei, Toshiatsu Sasaki is an 8th dan and a direct student of Nakayama. Needless to say, I follow his instruction without question.

Previous instructors have shown me Tekki differently, but never with a Mae geri. I have been taught it as a hiza-Geri as well as a mikazuki-geri.. but mostly I have been taught it as a Fumi-komi.

I also think many teach it depending on their own body, level of flexibility, and mobility.

Performing a hiza-geri I think is the easiest. Fumikomi seems much more difficult to do since you practically have to twist you leg out of socket with your hips remaining strait forward while in a kiba-dachi...lol

This takes a much longer time to master and become proficient at than the other ways. That might be a reason why variations came about.
But then again it could all be due to the different Oyo-waza that are translated from the movements themselves.

If you want my preference I believe it is a Fumi-komi because Nakayama taught it that way and it seems to flow better once you understand it and mold your body to execute the right way.

Thanks for the opportunity of this topic..
gook luck...

Oss
_________________
We are what we do repetitively, therefore excellence is a habit, not a single act

No comments:

Post a Comment